From: Chris White <chriswhite@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo: State of the Union
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 18:38:39
1 On Friday 28 April 2006 11:22 am, Ryan Phillips wrote:
2 > I believe we have a problem enticing new devlopers to join. It
3 > shouldn't be difficult in learning how to commit changes to a tree.
4
5 There's much more involved than more people think, if you'd like I can send
6 you an entire long list of what's supposed to happen.
7
8 > What is "well versed"? Understanding the ways on how to break the tree?
9 > If that is the case, then we are doing something wrong.
10
11 Well versed is knowing there's more to the process than just commiting.
12 There's working with upstream, adding patches, continual maintaining, etc.
13
14 > I am arguing that we don't need testing of potential developers. It
15 > is bad for the community. It is saying that we don't have any faith
16 > with our recruiting process. If we only only worried about tree breakage,
17 > then this is the wrong solution.
18
19 Sure, then you get this:
20
21 "Hey can I join?"
22 "OK"
23 "*adds user*"
24 -- 2 weeks later --
25 "Anyone heard from user?"
26 "No"
27
28 And heaven forbid they actually took on package maintaining before they left.
31 Chris White
32 Gentoo Developer aka:
33 ChrisWhite
34 cpw