From: "Olivier Crête" <tester@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] how to handle sensitive files when generating binary packages
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 22:44:35
1 On Wed, 2007-20-06 at 18:28 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 20 June 2007, Olivier Crête wrote:
3 > > On Wed, 2007-20-06 at 17:19 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
4 > > > the use of the binpkg is not an issue, it's the creation ... people
5 > > > blindly creating tbz2's which could contain their sensitive files and
6 > > > posting them
7 > > >
8 > > > i'll just go ahead with the feedback from Olivier and have quickpkg skip
9 > > > CONFIG_PROTECT by default
10 > >
11 > > This will by default create potentially broken packages (since many just
12 > > wont work without their CONFIG_PROTECTed files). That's why I suggested
13 > > a big fat warning and accepting that we can't protect users against
14 > > themselves or against social engineering (aka their own stupidity).
15 >
16 > i think this would only be an issue where quickpkg is being run
17 > non-interactively and the output not being reviewed (which i also dont think
18 > is a common scenario for quickpkg) ... the new output of quickpkg will be
19 > explicit in what it is (or isnt) doing so there wont be any issue of "drive
20 > by" social engineering
21
22 Well, I often use quickpkg when I want to try a new version of a package
23 (I quickpkg the currently installed one.. and I want to keep all the
24 config files). Then I emerge the new one, and I absolutely want to be
25 able to restore the config files if I want to revert to an older
26 version, either because they have been broken by the pkg_postinst or
27 something else. I still haven't heard a good reason to change anything
28 thats not the printing in quickpkg.
29
30 > as for dubbing people who are successfully socially engineered "stupid", i
31 > dont really think that's appropriate ... consider noobs on irc in #gentoo who
32 > just want to help and havent learned their way around yet. are they stupid
33 > (well they might be, but lets give them the benefit of the doubt) ? i'd
34 > liken the situation to a kid growing up ... kids arent stupid, they lack
35 > experience and calling them stupid isnt constructive
36
37 I'm not calling anyone stupid... but I'm talking of our inner stupidity
38 (which we all have)...
41 Olivier Crête
42 tester@g.o
43 Gentoo Developer