From: John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] CVS and non-devs (again!)
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 10:19:16
1 Recently there was a thread about cvs access for non-devs the following
2 problems were highlighted.
3
4 1. Users frustrated by not beeing able to work on ebuilds.
5 2. Devs not wanting bad ebuilds in the tree.
6
7 I think this can be adressed.
8 I'm just learning how RCS works so excuse me if this sound stupid, just
9 correct me =).
10
11 Why not have a cvs (or svn) tree where non-core-dev ebuilds is worked upon, a
12 free for all tree, (or some minimum registration, recognition...). When a dev
13 feels like the ebuild is usable: branch it (i gather this is what you do in
14 cvs, in svn you just make a copy).
15
16 There should also be a tree which is write-protected to single users ie "/
17 path/to/RCS/home/someone/" so that I can trust that all files in that tree
18 comes from a single trusted source.
19
20 Now devs and non-devs just merge back and forth as development proceed.
21
22 1. User frustration somewhat lower as development participation at least feels
23 higher.
24 2. The official part of the tree is still untouched by non-devs.
25 3. A way to update /usr/local/portage in an easy, semi-trusted way.
26
27 #svn co http://rcs.gentooserver.com/home/IamtheOne/portage /usr/local/portage
28 #emerge sync
29 #cd /usr/local/portage && svn up