From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] POSIX capability in Gentoo
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 20:01:25
1 On 07/31/2011 03:46 PM, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 8:13 PM, Anthony G. Basile <blueness@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Hi everyone,
4 >>
5 >> A couple of days ago, bonsaikitten (Patrick), kerframil (Kerin Millar)
6 >> and myself were talking about other distros moving away from setuid
7 >> binaries towards caps. Openwall and Fedora are now setuid-less [1].
8 >> Some googling showed that Constanze has done quite a bit of work in the
9 >> area and that there was a consensus to include functions to set caps
10 >> within portage [2]. I don't know what, if anything has been done since
11 >> then, but I'd like to lend my support.
12 >>
13 > One problem that came up was that a lot of people use tmpfs for
14 > /var/tmp/portage, and tmpfs doesn't support xattrs which are needed
15 > for setting caps.
16 >
17 > Linux 3.0 has added support for xattrs with tmpfs (the redhat folks
18 > did the work, afaik), so that problem is partly solved now.
22 I know, there are lots of places where xattrs is not supported that lead
23 to the same problem. I'm tempted to respond with pkg_postinst() but I
24 see QA problems written all over that.
27 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
28 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
29 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
30 GnuPG FP : 8040 5A4D 8709 21B1 1A88 33CE 979C AF40 D045 5535
31 GnuPG ID : D0455535