From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Questions about XML files used in portage
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 14:10:58
1 On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 09:21 -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 07:28 -0500, Albert Hopkins wrote:
3 > > 2. Are metadata.xml files a requirement for categories? There are
4 > > a few categories that do not have one:
5 > > * x11-proto
6 > > * x11-apps
7 > > * x11-drivers
8 >
9 > They should have one.
10
11 Ok, then I will submit a bug report to have them added.
14 > > 3. If a metadata.xml has a <longdescription> element, is it
15 > > required to contain text? There is at least one package that
16 > > has an empty <longdescription>. I wanted to use the
17 > > <longdescription> to override the DESCRIPTION in the .ebuild, if
18 > > it exists, but in this case the DESCRIPTION is actually
19 > > infinitely longer than the <longdescription>.
20 >
21 > It should contain text, but I don't think that the dtd requires it.
22 > Perhaps it should?
23
24 Admittedly, I have not read the DTD (must first learn *how* to read
25 DTDs), but I think if the element exists, it should have text or else
26 it's meaningless.
29 > > 4. Speaking of <longdescription>, are line breaks to be preserved
30 > > in their representation? There are a few packages whose
31 > > <longdescription> use line breaks for formatting. One in
32 > > particular, gnustep-libs/steptalk not only prefers to preserve
33 > > line breaks, but also appears to prefer a fixed-width font in
34 > > it's representation. Is this also a requirement?
35 >
36 > As far as I know, there are few *requirements* defined for metadata.xml
37 > files. All we really have is the dtd to determine what is legal.
38 > Anything beyond that really hasn't been discussed.
39 >
40 > Perhaps now is the time to start such discussions?
43 I think so. There seem to be different formats for the
44 <longdescription> and I would hate to have to guess or make special
45 exceptions because I know I'll do it wrong (e.g. the Changelogs). Would
46 prefer if there were a more strict definition so then at least I could
47 say it's not my fault ;-)
48
49 > > If anyone has answers to any of the above questions I thank you in
50 > > advance for your response.
51 >
52 > Just out of curiosity, what is your project?
53 >
54 This is for the new packages.gentoo.org.
57 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list