From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Experiment: confcache patch for portage-2.0.50-r10
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 21:12:25
1 Hi,
2
3 GNU autoconf is a bottleneck for compiling packages - especially on
4 multi-processor boxes. It supports the idea of a cache, but provides no
5 tools for maintaining the cache at all.
6
7 I've put together an experimental patch for Portage 2.0.50-r10, which
8 maintains a cache for configure to reuse. You can find it here:
9
10 http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/confcache/
11
12 Once you've patched and re-installed Portage, to activate the cache, make sure
13 you have both 'sandbox' and 'confcache' set in FEATURES in /etc/make.conf.
14 This feature only helps ebuilds which call 'econf'.
15
16 I'd be interested in getting some feedback on this patch, as well as any
17 suggested improvements.
18
19 Best regards,
20 Stu
21 --
22 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
23 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
24 http://stu.gnqs.org/diary/
25
26 GnuPG key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
27 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C