From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] multiversion ebuilds
Date: Sat, 12 May 2018 13:48:17
1 On Sat, May 12, 2018 at 8:20 AM Gerion Entrup <gerion.entrup@×××××.de>
2 wrote:
5 > Different version keywording can be done as before:
6 > ```
7 > if [[ ${PV} == "3.1" ]] ; then
8 > KEYWORDS="~amd64 ~x86"
9 > else
10 > KEYWORDS="amd64 x86"
11 > fi
12 > ```
13
14 From a readability standpoint I could see this getting out of hand if we
15 aren't careful. Also, we'd want to keep this simple enough that the simple
16 act of stabilizing a package doesn't introduce regressions (perhaps even in
17 versions that we don't intend to touch). We'd also need rules about
18 conditionals so that the metadata cache works.
19
20 You also would need to be careful about ebuild revisions in general, since
21 you're potentially affecting multiple versions at the same time.
22
23 How would revbumps fit into this? All kinds of bad things can happen by
24 editing ebuilds in place, and this would compound the issue.
25
26 (Don't get me wrong - the concept is interesting...)
29 Rich