From: "C. Bergström" <cbergstrom@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [OT] pkgcore bikeshed (was Portage team)
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 17:44:23
1 On 01/14/14 12:37 AM, Greg KH wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 04:15:37PM +0700, "C. Bergström" wrote:
3 >> At the end of the day we have one codebase which is "engineered" and
4 >> another which has "evolved".
5 > I'll take an "evolved" codebase over "engineered" anyday.
6 >
7 > You do realize that is exactly why Linux has succeeded, right? The
8 > kernel has evolved, and was never "engineered". There's lots people
9 > should be learning from biology...
10 >
11 > So you are using the benifits of evolution right now on your system,
12 > don't knock it, it's proven to work.
13 I'll bite - While I don't think nature stopped to properly design
14 interfaces along the way. I bet you Linus wouldn't agree with your
15 comment very much.
16
17 1) I expect quite a bit of time has gone into (Solaris and Linux) kernel
18 interfaces
19 2) Any larger or invasive changes require quite a bit of planning,
20 review and testing. (Possibly with tests (public/private) to cover a
21 large amount of the new/existing feature
22
23 To clarify - by engineering I mean significant forethought into the
24 design and implementation. I'm not trying to take away the achievements
25 of any particular piece of software. In this case it just one of those
26 "you know it when you see it". If I wasn't clear or you don't understand
27 what I meant - that's ok because I meant no offense to anyone.