From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 19: Gentoo Stable Portage Tree -- ideas
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 19:36:31
1 On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 09:39 -0800, Brian Harring wrote:
2 > Automation can reduce workload, within limits. Fex, scripting for
3 > yanking packages/deptree out of normal tree for merging into a g19
4 > tree.
5
6 Exactly, though I am not sure GLEP19 is the right way to go anyway, as
7 it still put a decent additional load on ebuild developers.
8
9 > Hell, script work that needs be done, nothing has been done in that
10 > direction either- again, specifics haven't been stated, so there isn't
11 > anything to contribute on.
12
13 That is the primary thing my proposal aims to solve... to give people
14 something to work on.
15
16 > > Truthfully, for any "large" enterprise, the company will be maintaining
17 > > a fair number of their own packages, with custom patches and whatnot.
18 > > Where I work, we use Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Why? Because we can pay
19 > > for support. That isn't the point I am going to make here, however. We
20 > > also have to maintain several hundred RPM packages that either are not
21 > > included in RHEL or modified by us in some way. What this means is we
22 > > are now in the business of maintaining a package set, using arguably
23 > > inferior tools versus ebuilds and portage. The binary support in
24 > > portage does make it very possible to "build once, deploy everywhere"
25 > > quite easily.
26 >
27 > The binary support is a bit weak- realistically, for a binpkg distro
28 > based off of gentoo, it would need a bit of an enema to improve it.
29 >
30 > So... consider that a statement of "proposals welcome on how to
31 > improve it". Right now, since (same with ebuild support) the format
32 > is effectively hardcoded into portage, it's hard to replace/make large
33 > changes to binpkg format. Abstraction work has/is underway to resolve
34 > that (something that help would be appreciated on also).
35
36 Perhaps a good explanation of the binpkg format would be in order to
37 give us a chance to determine what could/should be changed?
40 Chris Gianelloni
41 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
42 x86 Architecture Team
43 Games - Developer