From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Naming of repositories: gento-x86 edition, bike shedding wanted
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 10:34:58
1 On 15 March 2015 at 21:54, Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > . In that vain, "gentoo-base"
4 > could also work?
8 I like this idea. I was initially toying with "gentoo-overlay" because it
9 was more specific than "repo" but it didn't float well because the model
10 was wrong.
11
12 "gentoo-base" however kinda works in the vein of "This is the base the
13 other overlays are applied to".
14
15 But YMMV =).
16
17 > Isn't "repo" fairly redundant? Everything there is a repository.
18 >
19 > Everything is a git repo, but not everything is an ebuild/Portage
20 > repo... Which is another point against the use of repo in any
21 > Portage-specific way.
22
23 This also is my problem.
24
25 Its fine to say "gentoo" in the repo itself, because it can assume from the
26 consuming context that given a set of portage repositories, the one with
27 the name "gentoo" is the "gentoo portage repository".
28
29 But without that context, in a context where there are repos that are *not*
30 portage repositories, I feel there should be some sort of qualifier to
31 disambiguate between general project repositories ( e.g. : the source code
32 for portage itself ) and collections of ebuilds and supporting files,
33 which are all known as "repos" ... but they're only repos with in the
34 context of "Portage".
35
36 Outside the context of "Portage", "repo" can mean any git repository of any
37 kind, not merely a portage-usable repository.
43 Kent
44
45 *KENTNL* - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL