From: Alex Alexander <wired@g.o>
To: Gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFD: new global USE flag gtk3
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 14:08:32
1 On 20 Feb 2014 12:30, "Samuli Suominen" <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
4 > On 20/02/14 12:07, Duncan wrote:
5 > > Samuli Suominen posted on Thu, 20 Feb 2014 07:55:44 +0200 as excerpted:
6 > >
7 > >> On 20/02/14 00:23, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
8 > >>> Following up to today's QA meeting: The gtk3 USE flag is used by 27
9 > >>> packages, so I suggest making it a global flag:
10 > >>>
11 > >>> gtk3 - Add support for x11-libs/gtk+ (The GIMP Toolkit) version 3
12 > >>>
13 > >>> Ulrich
14 > >> that would suggest it's fine to use, and is anything but temporary
15 > >>
16 > >> -1 from here
17 > > You must have missed the news implied by that "following up" wording,
18 > > then. See the announcement/thread "February 2014 QA policy updates",
19 > > posted by creffett, just a few minutes before this thread started.
20 >
21 > I find it sad the QA team has been taken over by some of the new and
22 > semi-new
23 > developers who don't completely understand the implications of this
24 > decision yet
25 > since they haven't lived through the older transitions.
26
27 Well, I find it sad that Gentoo is trying really hard to resist change -
28 although things have been improving lately.
29
30 Honestly, I really like the new QA team, we actually push things forward!
31 Sure, not everyone will always agree with us, but that is natural.
32
33 By the way, we did not take over. We were entrusted with this role, we
34 discuss everything with the community and try to take decisions that are
35 good for Gentoo. We don't have some secret ulterior motive to take over the
36 world through Gentoo.
37
38 For what it's worth, as a QA member I always vote with what I believe is
39 best for Gentoo in mind.
40
41 Cheers,
42 Alex