From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] How to add a service to /etc/services?
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 15:22:58
1 >>>>> On Sun, 7 Oct 2007, Alec Warner wrote:
2
3 >> ndtp 2010/tcp # Network Dictionary Transfer Protocol
4
5 >> Which leads me to the question: What is the recommended way to add a
6 >> service to /etc/services? And shouldn't "getent" (or even "egetent")
7 >> be used to determine if it already exists?
8
9 > Ask upstream to add it in a future version?
10
11 Hm, I see now that ndtp is registered by IANA and already in
12 baselayout's /etc/services, but under a different port number:
13 ndtp 2882/tcp # Network Dictionary Transfer Protocol
14 ndtp 2882/udp
15
16 Since the ndtpd ebuild greps for 2010/tcp (which it doesn't find) it
17 will add the service a second time ...
18
19 Is 2010 an obsolete port number, so that the /etc/services handling
20 should simply be removed from the net-misc/ndtpd and app-emacs/lookup
21 ebuilds?
22
23 Is anyone actually using ndtpd who can shed some light on the issue?
24
25 Ulrich
26 --
27 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list