From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 64: Standardize contents of VDB and establish and API for exporting this information.
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 15:05:46
1 On 08/31/14 11:02, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 10:56:21 -0400
3 > "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o> wrote:
4 >> I'd give you a link to git.gentoo.org/proj/elfix as a concrete
5 >> example, but the site is still down.
6 > Are you emulating all the workarounds for reading previously-written
7 > invalid data in there? Because if not, you're reading what you want VDB
8 > to contain, not what it actually does...
9 >
10 > Remember, VDB's format isn't specified anywhere, so if you claim you
11 > can read it, you must be able to read whatever it contains, and you
12 > can't claim that (for example) rogue 'stat' entries in CONTENTS are a
13 > bug.
14 >
15 I'm reading portage's code. I'm not looking at paludis. The council is
16 proposing a standardization of this information so that we don't have
17 the sitatuation where we're "reading what you want VDB to contain, not
18 what it actually does"
19
20 I do not understand why you oppose the standardization of VDB?
23 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
24 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
25 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
26 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
27 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA