From: stefan@××××××××.net
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] cross compiling for a slow system
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 17:03:11
1 I have a laptop with a p2 running at 300mhz and 128mb ram.
2 While this is enough for ssh sesions to other hosts at work
3 and browsing the web, or even playing a film with mplayer,
4 everytime glibc gets updated I start looking out for alternatives
5 to building glibc on the laptop. It simply takes too much time.
6
7 I run distcc to compile most packages on the laptop, and
8 together with the 3 other gentoo hosts on my lan compilation
9 times for most packages are acceptable. But glibc does not
10 build with distcc.
11
12 Is there an easy automated way to build huge packages such as
13 glibc, xorg and mozilla as a tbz package on a fast system, using
14 foreign C- and USEFLAGS, and then install the tbz's on the target host?
15
16 And if not, how easily do you reckon this could be implemented in
17 portage? I'm quite profficient in python, so I might give this a go
18 in my free time if it did not require a near portage rewrite.
19
20 thanks
21 stefan
24 Imagine a science-fiction device that allows any sort of food or
25 physical object to be infinitely duplicated. If somebody then tried
26 to sell you a tire for your car, why in the world would you buy it?
27 - from "Open Source Development with CVS" (Fogel, Bar)
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list