From: Michael 'veremitz' Everitt <gentoo@×××××××.xyz>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Addressing split usage of USE=gles[123]
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 22:06:00
1 On 21/11/19 21:53, Dennis Schridde wrote:
2 > On Donnerstag, 21. November 2019 09:11:46 CET Mart Raudsepp wrote:
3 >> See also this related old thread:
4 >> https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/e04f6d321e424a237af62721d1d09
6 > I think tackling the triad of opengl/gles, egl/glx, X/wayland is also a good
7 > idea. Generally, all these probably have to distinguish between "support for
8 > XYZ" and "use only XYZ", the latter hopefully being the exception, so that the
9 > former can take the shorter use-flag. That's what I don't like about the
10 > proposal from 2018: Globally enabling USE=gles will have different effects on
11 > different packages. That's also what I like about the recent proposal: The
12 > flags are more explicit.
13 >
14 > --Dennis
15 I don't think the problem is so much in the principle of making a change,
16 or even the specifics of any particular permutation of change, it's who
17 gets to manage and implement the change in a maintainable fashion, and who
18 has to deal with the fallout of any changes occurring where a particular
19 scenario 'slips through the net'....
20
21 If you can convince the latter people that there is no problem arising from
22 making said changes, and you ensure that there genuinely *is* minimal
23 impact (by whatever means) then you stand a much better chance of this
24 change actually being implemented ..