From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RFC: auto-detection of unpack dependencies
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 02:20:55
1 As a result of Cardoes earlier mail we talked a bit about possible
2 solutions in #gento-portage, and I suggested to let portage
3 automatically inject the deps based on SRC_URI pattern matching.
4 A mapping of extensions and their unpack deps would be kept in the tree
5 (e.g. mapping '.tar.bz2' to '( app-arch/tar app-arch/bzip2 )'
6
7 Benefits:
8 - simplified depstrings for most packages (I assume >90% of the tree)
9 - easier maintenance if dependencies are changing, or additional
10 implementations become supported (this could also be achieved with
11 virtuals though)
12 - potentially more accurate dependencies, as some common errors would
13 be eliminated (e.g. proper treatment of use-conditionals, not adding
14 unpack deps to RDEPEND)
15 - long-term adds the possibility to remove bzip2, gzip and tar from
16 @system
17
18 Potential problems:
19 - might cause trouble for some packages that use custom code for
20 unpacking, or due to circular deps, this could simply be solved with a
21 new RESTRICT value though.
22 - automagic deps could be confusing to devs/users
23 - not available for existing EAPIs (due to the mentioned problems)
24 - slightly slower dep calculations due to the extra processing
25 - possible match errors
26
27 So, is this something ebuild maintainers would like in general, or does
28 such a feature cause you nightmares?
29
30 Marius
31 --