From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] mtime preservation
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 05:27:27
1 Brian Harring wrote:
2 > This discussion in generall is daft. No package can rely on
3 > nanonsecond resolution for installation because the most common FS out
4 > there (ext3) does *second* level resolution only. As such, I can
5 > pretty much gurantee there is *zero* packages out there that require
6 > nanosecond resolution for installation.
7
8 Your "guarantee" is filesystem-specific. However, if we can
9 establish that all known packages with timestamp preservation
10 requirements do their timestamp comparisons with 1-second
11 granularity, then we'll have a much safer (filesystem-independent)
12 assumption.
13 --
14 Thanks,
15 Zac