From: Michael Marineau <marineam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] giflib and libungif hell
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 02:35:02
1 Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 16 March 2005 10:41 am, Chris White wrote:
3 >
4 >>So, they pretty much install the same thing... Can I put a blocker on
5 >>this? Or does someone have a valid reason why I shouldn't...
8 > going by the description, it seems like libungif is pretty much pointless
9 > now ? libgd has added back in gif support now that the LZW patent has
10 > expired everywhere ...
11 >
12 > perhaps we can just clean out libungif and have everything use giflib now
13 > -mike
14
15 I'd second killing libungif if we can get away with it. More than once I've
16 had to unmerge libungif and reemerge giflib because after libungif stomps on
17 things builds really like to break :-(
18
19 However, somethings like qt, actually depend on BOTH packages. Does libungif
20 actually provide something that giflib does not? Why is both needed?
21 --
22 Michael Marineau
23 marineam@g.o
24 Gentoo Linux Developer