From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dirt: To shove under the rug or not shove under the rug? (aka another round of USE_EXPAND)
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 10:44:29
1 On Tuesday 27 September 2005 12:12, Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > Which leads me to the one thing I didn't say but feel strongest about..
3 > What is the real point of USE_EXPAND? What can/does it do that USE flags do
4 > not?
5 They are forced by the profile, as we don't want users to go away WITHOUT them
6 when they are needed. That's the main part of it.
7 Then there's the fact that I can test for a generic BSD libc using [[ ${ELIBC}
8 == *BSD ]], too.
9
10 > This doesn't quite apply to cross compiling and such, but in general yeah.
11 Cross-compiling with different libc can be possible (glibc->uclibc) but I'm
12 not sure on what extent. Currently trying to have cross-compiling between
13 different kernels is a no-go.
14
15 The proposal of domains or whatever they are called that Brian talked about
16 some time ago when he proposed BDEPEND would probably fix this issue, tho.
17
18 > Similar to "build" and "bootstrap"? Note, these aren't hidden either but if
19 > the ELIBC and friends should be hidden those should be hidden too.
20 But they have sort of meaning to users, for example with newuse, and does not
21 screw your system around, or at least not completely (one can build a few
22 packages with build useflag active and still have a working system, at the
23 end).
24 Changing the ELIBC/KERNEL/USERLAND is like using a sparc profile on an x86 ...
25
26 Also, most ebuilds does not use the above variables in a complete way, they
27 usually check for a certain content (GNU userland, FBSD libc, Linux Kernel).
28 Saying for example that kdelibs uses kernel_linux can make people think that
29 kdelibs works ONLY for Linux kernel, while that's not true at all.
30 They are special features or workarounds that does not concern users at all.
31
32 > And we're back to USE flags again... ;)
33 As they are the only way to change the dependencies, yeah, always USE is what
34 we need. For the most of the uses, variables are fine, but for dependency we
35 use them use-expanded.
38 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò
39 Gentoo Developer - http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/
40 (Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, Gentoo/AMD64, Sound, PAM)