From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Stabilization requests from users
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 02:04:14
1 Marco Paolone posted on Mon, 12 Mar 2012 18:58:37 +0000 as excerpted:
2
3 > Hello gentoo-dev team,
4 > scarabeus recently posted on his blog [1] about submission of
5 > stabilization requests from users. Since using bugzilla could be a mess
6 > of duplicated entries, I was thinking about a "Stabilization Party" once
7 > a month for example,
8 > in order to have a coherent list of stabilizations, and users working
9 > togheter with you developers. How does it sound?
10 >
11 > [1]
12 > http://blogs.gentoo.org/scarabeus/2012/03/05/stabilisations-and-testing/
13
14 This reminds me of the "bug days" they used to have, once a month or once
15 a quarter, some years ago. I haven't read anything about that for "aeons"
16 now (since before arch-testers, IIRC), I'd guess since the dev(s)
17 coordinating them retired (?), but resurrecting that idea could be
18 useful. The stabilization party idea would then simply be the arch side
19 of the coin, with package bugs being the maintainer side.
20
21 Either way, it takes a strong leader with a decent priority for it and
22 the time to dedicate, to pull it off as a regular thing. Without that,
23 there might be one or two, but it'll peter out by #3 or 4...
24
25 AFAIK there used to be a bug-day keyword that could be added as well.
26 A dev could add that to any bug he thought could use some user testing,
27 either to nail down or pre-stabilization, and the bug-day coordinator
28 would pick bugs, mostly from that list, that he thought fit. Of course
29 users and devs could work on any bugs they chose on that day for their
30 "bug day points", but the list was helpful for categorizing bugs that
31 needed more testing that deep technical skill, and/or that could probably
32 be fixed with just a few minutes to hours of work, reasonably doable in a
33 small enough fraction of a day to allow someone to work on several the
34 same day, if they had the time to dedicate.
35
36 Back then, user bug-day activity, IRC presence, etc, was a big door to
37 recruitment.
38
39 It seems to me that many (not all) stabilization bugs should fit right
40 in, but the idea was then and I believe should be again, broader than
41 simply stabilization bugs, so more folks can participate.
46 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman