From: "Holger Hoffstätte" <holger@××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Infiniband/OmniPath/iWARP and other RDMA related staff
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 13:19:29
1 On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 10:07:07 +0300, Alexey Shvetsov wrote:
2
3 > Hi all!
4 >
5 > I'm going to revive RDMA fabric related things in gentoo. And since its not
6
7 Yay!
8
9 > only about infiniband staff but about more generic fabric types there is and
10 > idea to rename category sys-infiniband to more generic name. Suggestions are
11 >
12 > sys-rdma
13 > sys-fabric
14 >
15 > What will be inside? It will be RDMA related stuff like OFED, fabric userspace
16 > drivers (verbs, psm, psm2, libfabric and others), plugins for specific devices,
17 > tools to flash RDMA cards and other related staff.
18
19 This makes me happy. I've been playing with a standalone libfabric in my
20 overlay via the sockets/UDP providers, and had nothing but problems when I
21 tried to add USE flags for the various OFED bits (psm2 etc.)
22
23 An up-to-date libfabric that pulls in ofed only when needed would finally enable
24 people without the otherwise necessary fabric HW to write against the much more
25 usable & sane (when compared to raw IB verbs) libfabric APIs.
26
27 As far as the name is concerned IMHO fabric sounds less RDMA-specific;
28 I think the OFI WG now also prefers implementation-neutral terms.
29
30 cheers,
31 Holger