From: Mix Sella <mix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] (crazy?) proposal to reduce load and disk on mirrors
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 09:29:33
1 On Thursday 24 July 2003 10:35, Håvard Wall wrote:
2 > There has been some discussion lately about how to reduce disk usage on
3 > mirrors. Some programs (typically games) takes a lot of space and must
4 > be stored in the portage-tree due to lack of good host-sites on their own.
5 >
6 > How about implementing a file-sharing propram taylored for gentoo? Users
7 > could voluntarily share their /usr/portage/distfiles, or whatever would
8 > benefit mirrors. This would potentially let us keep huge (gaming-)files
9 > on their (faulty) hosts. When the original host is down, there would
10 > probably already be some users online which have a copy and is sharing it.
11 >
12 > Ok, I guess this might be a rather stupid proposal. I don't expect any
13 > supportive comments. Just had to get it off my chest -) Flames are
14 > nevertheless welcome.
17 This is not a stupid proposal at all. The question to ask however is "who
18 writes the code"?
21 > --
22 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
23 >
24 > This mail was checked for viruses by Romat email server
27 Mix Sella (well, not really but hey)
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list