From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: James Cloos <cloos@×××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Locale check in python_pkg_setup()
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 22:05:14
On Saturday, July 31, 2010 17:39:27 James Cloos wrote:
> Paweł Hajdan writes: > > Another thing we can consider is making UTF8 the default setup in > > Gentoo. I think most people (including me) don't care whether it's > > C or UTF8 as long as it works. > > Forcing utf-8 will only be reasonable when there is a C.UTF-8 and/or > a POSIX.UTF-8 locale. > > In fact, glibc's insistance that C and POSIX are ascii rather than raw > unspecified eight bit is itself a bug.
yeah, no. take it up with the POSIX group where they're already working on defining a C.UTF-8/etc... locale.
> That should be done upstream in glibc, but were they to refuse then > Gentoo should add it to the glibc ebuild.
this doesnt really make sense, upstream or down. if you wanted to talk about setting default LANG in the baselayout, then that's about the only reasonable possibility (especially since we already do this to a degree). screwing with default locale when no locale variables are set is madness.
> The language_country locales are just wrong for root. They are often > broken (locales like en_US force case-insensitive colation, meaning that > a command such as 'rm [a-z]*' will unlink(2) 'Makefile' and similar files > which one would not expect to match) and cause bugs.
this is pure opinion -mike

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] Locale check in python_pkg_setup() James Cloos <cloos@×××××××.com>