From: Alastair 'liquidx' Tse <liquidx@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Mozilla: Firebird-bin & Firebird-cvs
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 09:56:49
1 On Mon, 2003-05-19 at 06:38, Chris PeBenito wrote:
2 > etc. I don't know which one would be chosen if you type "emerge
3 > firebird".
4
5 That is one of the reasons why net-www/firebird would be a bad choice.
6 Currently, it is ambigious which one would be chosen.
7
8 > net-www/firebird"). Naming it MozillaFirebird would be a violation of
9 > Gentoo's development policy because of the capitalization
10 > (mozillafirebird or mozilla-firebird would be ok).
11
12 Indeed, capitialisation is frowned upon for a package name in portage. I
13 support it being called mozilla-firebird or even mozilla-browser as it
14 will be renamed to after 1.4[1]. However, I'm not the maintainer of
15 phoenix or mozilla, so it is ultimately up to them.
16
17 I have no comment about -bin and -cvs. I don't personally use phoenix so
18 I'm not sure why we have those compared with the regular source release.
19
20 Cheers,
21
22 Alastair
23
24 [1] http://www.mozilla.org/roadmap/branding.html
25 "When referring to Thunderbird or Firebird before or during the 1.4
26 release cycle, make sure to use the project name with Mozilla pre-pended
27 as "Mozilla Thunderbird" or "Mozilla Firebird" instead of Mozilla alone
28 or Firebird/Thunderbird alone. ... Use the names "Mozilla Browser" and
29 "Mozilla Mail" to describe the Firebird and Thunderbird projects after
30 the 1.4 release."
33 Alastair 'liquidx' Tse
34 >> Gentoo Developer
35 >> http://www.liquidx.net/ | http://cvs.gentoo.org/~liquidx/
36 >> GPG Key : http://cvs.gentoo.org/~liquidx/liquidx_gentoo_org.asc
37 >> FingerPrint : 579A 9B0E 43E8 0E40 EE93 BB1C 38CE 1C7B 3907 14F6