From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: council members and appeals
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 22:45:10
1 >>>>> On Tue, 13 Feb 2018, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
2
3 > Dean Stephens schrieb:
4 >>> QA and Comrel are special in that they can take disciplinary
5 >>> action against non-members, which there is no recourse against
6 >>> except appeal to the Council.
7 >>>
8 >> At the very least: QA, Comrel, IRC ops (in every project specific
9 >> channel), planet/universe, forums, and wiki.
10
11 > Council, QA and Comrel are effectively the governing bodies of
12 > Gentoo, enacting and/or enforcing project-wide policy on their own
13 > accord. The others that you mention have only direct power in a very
14 > limited area.
15
16 At least for QA this is quite an oversimplified description of the
17 team's role. Quoting GLEP 48, first bullet point of the specification:
18 "The QA team's purpose is to provide cross-team assistance in keeping
19 the tree in a good state. This is done primarily by finding and
20 pointing out issues to maintainers and, where necessary, taking direct
21 action."
22
23 The latter is meant in the sense of direct action to the tree (and
24 even then, overriding maintainers is not the default). The QA team
25 doesn't have the power to take any direct disciplinary action against
26 developers.
27
28 Theoretically, in the case of continuing breakage caused by a dev, QA
29 could ask ComRel to have that dev's commit access suspended. I cannot
30 remember any case where such a measure was taken (correct me if I am
31 wrong).
32
33 So, it appears that QA has teeth but need not use them. ;)
34
35 Ulrich