From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] reply-to munging
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:23:23
1 On Fri, 2005-04-15 at 00:15 +1000, Stuart Longland wrote:
2 > At the moment, I'm used to just clicking the Reply button to send to the
3 > list... however, on most lists that I participate in, Reply-To is left
4 > alone, so I'm normally in the habit of clicking Reply-To-All. Seeing as
5 > I normally have to consciously think *click Reply, not RTA*, I for one
6 > certainly won't miss not having Reply-to-All.
7
8 Reply-to-All is evil. You should be using Reply-to-List. I know that I
9 sure don't need to get the same email both on and off-list. Off-list
10 emails should be reserved only for when you explicitly do not want to
11 send to the list and only to the original email's author.
12
13 It is bad enough that we have so many different mail clients that all
14 behave differently. It gets a tad old deleting multiple emails that are
15 identical. This is even worse, as using procmail recipes to match on
16 the message ID generally ends up dumping list mail in my personal
17 mailbox.
18
19 Why can't mailers just show a nice little Reply-to-List button when it
20 sees that you're reading an email from a mailing list?
23 Chris Gianelloni
25 Games - Developer
26 Gentoo Linux