From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Developers, please work on underlinking issues!
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2016 15:18:57
1 On 08/19/2016 03:49 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 12:58 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 15:21:16 +0200
4 >> Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 08:13:14 -0400
7 >>> Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>>> If you just check your packages occassionally to make sure they build
10 >>>> with gold it completely achieves the goal, and it will actually result
11 >>>> in fewer bugs using the non-gold linker as well.
12 >>>
13 >>> That's what a tinderbox is for. The only QA problem I see here is that
14 >>> QA doesn't automate that kind of checks anymore since Diego left. Maybe
15 >>> QA should ask Toralf to run a ld.gold tinderbox and avoid asking people
16 >>> to randomly test random packages ?
17 >>
18 >> Yes, tinderboxing makes a lot of sense if the bugs are afterwards
19 >> ignored by package maintainers. Or in the best case, the maintainer
20 >> tells reporter (Toralf) to file the bug upstream.
23 > TBH, these are really two different problems.
24 >
25 > 1. I think raising awareness of underlinking is good.
26 >
27 > 2. I think encouraging developers to test their own packages with the
28 > gold linker is good, because it helps accomplish #1, and increases
29 > their awareness in general.
30 >
31 > 3. I think that having a tinderbox systematically testing using the
32 > gold linker is also good.
33 >
34 > 4. I think that hitting devs with a cluebat when they ignore valid
35 > bugs is good.
36 >
37 > The flip side of this is that we're not necessarily better off if
38 > maintainers just abandon packages because they have terrible build
39 > systems. At some point you need to work with them. However, if
40 > they're not willing to at least stick in a slot operator dependency
41 > when asked to, then sure we should have a talk with them. (A slot op
42 > dep will of course help by triggering rebuilds, but it doesn't
43 > actually directly fix the underlinking issue, which would require
44 > fixing the build system.)
45 >
46 > I think the big thing is acknowledging that packages that are missing
47 > dependencies or which are underlinked are defective. Sure, it would
48 > be nice if somebody else came along and helped find our mistakes.
49 > However, that in itself doesn't excuse us from having made them in the
50 > first place. And it certainly doesn't excuse giving people a hard
51 > time when they politely point them out.
52
53 +1
54
55 Perhaps much of the mechanics and ordinary part of these aforementioned
56 task, would make for fertile ground of skills diversification for the
57 'proxy-maintainers' ? Understanding and routine usage of a full suite of
58 tools available under gentoo, could easily be missed during the proxy
59 period. In fact, putting the tinderbox out there as part of the proxy
60 training and perhaps available to a portion of the wider gentoo-user
61 base, might also be a fertile area for technical growth or the gentoo
62 community?
63
64 Access to there and other dev tools might be a powerful incentive, if
65 packaged up attactively, for the gentoo user community to participate
66 more in the less risky parts of gentoo development workflows?
69 hth,
70 James