From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: QA Overlay Layout support.
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 07:44:15
1 Caleb Cushing <xenoterracide@×××××.com> posted
2 81bfc67a0903022319j38aba363nbb46e272e26be0f7@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Tue, 03 Mar 2009 02:19:29 -0500:
4
5 > second. I generally think anything beyond a personal overlay is crap.
6 > All these overlays like sunrise, java-overlay, and on and on...
7 > basically official, overlays that have qa and are pretty stable. are
8 > crap. they should be in the tree. an overlay for developers is fine, you
9 > know. where you are working on stuff... stuff that someone who wouldn't
10 > want to hack on it wouldn't want, because it's too broken.
11 >
12 > but one of the few good things about gentoo, in relation to other
13 > distro's, 1 tree no repos, continues to fall further and further apart.
14
15 This is the question I was asking myself as well, reading the OP. Yes, I
16 see the policy of not putting otherwise stable Java apps in the tree, but
17 why? If they're reasonably stable, why aren't they in the tree to begin
18 with? If there's a reason not to be comfortable having them in the tree
19 unmasked, then in the tree masked (tho in that case, are they really so
20 stable after all?). But why have overlays all over for basically stable
21 stuff, that has the usual QA done already, but simply isn't in the tree?
22
23 If that were taken care of it would go a very long way to killing the
24 entire problem, since it'd only be hack/unstable overlays left in the
25 first place, and stacking that hack on unstable on hack isn't a good idea
26 anyway. The problem is thus one of not having reasonably stable stuff in
27 the tree where it arguably belongs, thus creating a problem with stacking
28 multiple levels of main/stable/slightly-less-stable/unstable/really-
29 unstable/suicide all on top of each other.
30
31 That said, I do understand the reason for Sunrise, as it by original
32 definition and practice really is a hack level overlay even if it does
33 get some level of Sunrise-dev love and guidance. But as such, once
34 again, there's little reason to stack it with anything else, including
35 the personal overlays of those involved.
36
37 At least, that very quickly becomes the case as soon as there's a useful
38 way to mass-package-unmask, mass-package-keyword, and package-set, and
39 the various projects already have working if not all that easy solutions
40 for the first two and sets are available in portage-2.2.
45 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman