From: Terje Kvernes <terjekv@××××××××.no>
To: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Too many kernels?
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 01:25:19
1 Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> writes:
2
3 [ ... ]
4
5 > The arch specific ones should have maintainers, the arch
6 > maintainers. The patchset specific ones are (in my opinion) pretty
7 > much pointless. Sure, some people like them, but it seems like a
8 > strange way to track a -mm or -aa or -ck kernel using a ebuild. But
9 > that's just my opinion.
10
11 personally, I find it very practical to have emerge fetch and patch
12 the patchset-kernels I use -- I run -mm and occasionally test -ck.
13 this makes it one less thing I have to think about looking for every
14 so often, even though I get l-k delivered. ;-)
15
16 > Oh, remember, those patchset specific kernels usually never get the
17 > security updates that the "supported" kernels do (g-s and g-d-s).
18
19 "security" is rarely the reason for using patchset-kernels. for my
20 part, it's mostly to test the newest and greatest sources with a lot
21 of extras. considering FireWire, SATA and a few other tidbits like
22 that are used a lot around here, I tend to test tings quite a bit.
23 and for the record, I really wish my motherboard had something other
24 than Sil3112. SATA compliance with as much fuzz as possible.
27 but, since I'm curious... Greg, are you maintaining g-d-s these
28 days? if so, I could move a box or two over. SATA shouldn't be a
29 problem there, should it? :-)
30
31 oh, and how you find the time to do all that l-k work and Gentoo is
32 damn impressive. thank you for all the time you give to us users!
35 Terje - who wants to try the hotswap SATA canisters on his server.
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list