From: Tobias Klausmann <klausman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Lib_users, a post-upgrade helper
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 15:55:36

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
> > While that approach has the advantage of not only catching mapped > > files but every open FD, I am thinking about implementing something > > similar with lib_users (but using /proc/<pid>/fd/). > > The great advantage would be that it also discovers changed runtime > configuration files. Not that it would also disregard "trivial" > updates, of course, but by pointing out the filenames, an admin having > just run etc-update could easily figure that out.
I suspect that wouldn't work in most cases since programs typically close FDs after reading the config file(s)*. The one program I know of that doesn't, uses the FD to find out the file changed and does file-was-deleted handling internally. Still, if config files aren't the only useful case for checking the FDs, it might be worthwhile to implement. Regards, Tobias * This is a /good/ thing.