From: Patrice Clement <monsieurp@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Automatic Bug Assignment
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2016 15:51:03
1 Saturday 30 Jan 2016 11:45:48, Alex Brandt wrote :
2 > Hey Guys,
3 >
4 > I've oft wondered why we don't automatically assign bugs to the
5 > ebuild maintainer (if a CPV is in the subject). Would there be an
6 > issue with adding a bug modification hook to bugzilla or a daily
7 > job to re-assign bugs to ebuild owners (if a CPV is in the
8 > subject)?
9 >
10 > Just curious not trying to incite anything.
11 >
12 > Regards,
13 >
14 > --
15 > Alex Brandt
16 > Software Developer for Rackspace and Developer for Gentoo
17 > http://blog.alunduil.com
18
19 Alex
20
21 I like your idea (I tought about it a while ago but never bothered raising the
22 issue on the gentoo-dev ML). So I looked around on the Internet to see if
23 there's another open source project like Gentoo who ran into a similar issue
24 with Bugzilla.
25
26 And it turns out there is (!).
27
28 Context: the FreeBSD project recently ditched GNATS in favour of Bugzilla [1].
29
30 FreeBSD devs now make heavy use of the bug tracker and like us, they try to
31 optimise Bugzilla and fine-tune it as best as they can. And like us, they ran
32 into this similar issue: how to automatically assign bugs. So they put together
33 a Bugzilla extension to fix this problem. Code is available here [2]. Since
34 it's already been implemented, no need to reinvent the wheel, we can find
35 inspiration through their code.
36
37 However, I'm not familiar at all with this code. If you have questions or want
38 to find out more, don't ask me, ask them! FreeBSD devs hang out in
39 #freebsd-bugs on freenode (at least the Bugzilla team). They've been really
40 helpful so far and are a delight to talk to.
41
42 [1]: https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-announce/2014-June/001559.html
43 [2]: https://github.com/freebsd/bugzilla/tree/freebsd-local/extensions/FBSDAutoAssign
44