From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Packages up for grabs
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2016 20:41:00
1 On 08/07/2016 03:04 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 07/08/2016 19:36, james wrote:
3 >>> The interesting apps out there are mostly running python, go and
4 >>> (sometimes) lua. And that's what I observe in my day job -
5 >>> business/mobile ISP.
8 >> Look at the job listing on stackoverflow and elsewhere (java) is very
9 >> popular when they list several programming languages to meet the
10 >> requirements. I'm not promoting java, at all, but just stating that it
11 >> is very popular, on new projects (but not all) and it is a large and
12 >> frequent requirement, dictating by employers. Kids coming out of college
13 >> want a job, more than anything, and most are having java crammed down
14 >> their throats. So we should find a way to robustly
15 >> support those that need java. Nothing is precluding other languages
16 >> in my message. Personally I avoid java, unless it is critical to
17 >> a code or family of codes I need to run.
20 > I recommend Java as a teaching language at university level.
21 >
22 > You get all the benefits of a C-like syntax without the overhead of
23 > learning to deal with C and/or C++. You don't have to deal with the
24 > toolchain (much), you can easily show correct implementations of OOP
25 > style without getting into generics (or, you can avoid Java generics
26 > altogether at this level and pretend they don't exist).
27 >
28 > In short, what's not to like for teaching? All win not much lose.
29
30 I guess folks do not prototype new hardware (dev boards) and sit with an
31 EE to exercise hardware and peripherals to get them burned in, working
32 and basic drive code working, or yall do that is java at your U?
33
34 This sort of thing in done on a fpga too, at your U? Are you on the
35 engineering side or the business side of the campus? (just curious).
39 > Well OK some kids come away thinking Java is the one and only, but they
40 > will have that too if Python is the teaching language. Realizing there
41 > are other things out there is part of the learning process.
42 >
43 > But, despite all that, Java is not special. It should run on Gentoo for
44 > anyone who wants it, just like things starting with P.
45 >
46 > You volunteering to do the grunt work?
49 I'm actually too stupid work on java. I need a new java-moral-compass.
50 Besides, I'm knee deep into automating a way to put minimal, hardened
51 gentoo onto a variety of platforms, with a few keystrokes (guidance,
52 suggestions and leadership are appreciated). Most of the pieces exist,
53 but I fear I have installa-dyslexia syndrome.
56 After that feat is accomplished, then a similar deployment of a gentoo
57 cluster on a those just installed gentoo minimal images, via a few
58 keystrokes (I am flexible on the cluster codes that comprise the
59 cluster). Then (only after those 2 things are robustly accomplished) I
60 do intend to return to my java travails (search out bgo, as I have a
61 long love-hate relationship with java on gentoo).....
64 hth,
65 James