From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About suggesting to create a separate partition for portage tree in handbook
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 00:37:17
1 Joshua Saddler wrote:
2 > On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 19:49:00 +0200
3 > Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Hello
6 >>
7 >> I am a bit surprised handbook still doesn't suggest people to
8 >> create a separate partition for /usr/portage tree. I remember my
9 >> first Gentoo systems had it inside / and that lead to a lot of
10 >> fragmentation, much slower "emerge -pvuDN world" (I benchmarked it
11 >> when I changed my partitioning scheme to put /usr/portage) separate
12 >> and a lot of disk space lost (I remember portage tree reached
13 >> around 3 GB of disk space while I am now running with 300MB)
14 >>
15 >> Could handbook suggest people to put /usr/portage on a different
16 >> partition then? The only doubt I have is what filesystem would be
17 >> better for it, in my case I am using reiserfs with tail enabled,
18 >> but maybe you have other different setups.
19 >>
20 >> Thanks for discussing this :)
21 >
22 > not gonna happen, for reasons that SwifT & others already mentioned.
23 > this is the sort of non-simple, non-trivial text/info/instructions
24 > that would be better suited to an "optimizing your FS layout" article
25 > on the gentoo wiki, or similar.
28 Well, way back when I first installed Gentoo, I actually read some
29 before I even started. I learned through all that reading that /,
30 /boot, /home, /usr, /usr/portage and /var are best on their own
31 partition. Each of those are for different reasons.
32
33 The root partition is obvious, I would hope anyway. ;-) The boot
34 partitions comes in handy if you don't automount it or have more than
35 one distro installed. Home is obvious. People recommended /usr because
36 it could a) be mounted read only and b) it can be enlarged if needed
37 since it tends to grow a lot. Portage since it is tons of small files
38 and tends to fragment a lot. The var partition is so that if some error
39 message repeats itself overnight and fills up the partition it at least
40 doesn't lock up the whole system. I actually had this one happen to me
41 once. For some reason, even logrotate didn't catch it, tar up and
42 delete the old ones. I woke up to a mess that only going to single user
43 would fix. The best thing I did was to have /var on its own partition.
44
45 When people are planning to install Gentoo and they have not done at
46 least some research, I think they should get to keep the pieces.
47 Installing Gentoo is not something to do on a whim. It should be
48 planned and thought through even if the person is completely new to
49 Gentoo. I read up for at least a month before ever even starting.
50
51 I agree with having a simple manual for the folks that want to install
52 just to look and then have a separate manual, wiki even, for more
53 serious set ups. This can include things like RAID, LVM and having more
54 than a couple partitions. Of course, Gentoo is almost endless in options.
55
56 Back to my hole.
57
58 Dale
59
63 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
64 how you interpreted my words!
65
66 Miss the compile output? Hint:
67 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"