From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: PROPERTIES=funky-slots
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 16:23:33
1 On 06/23/12 21:21, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > There's been a move towards using slots for "clever" things that don't
3 > fit the traditional way of how slots worked. Examples include the new
4 > gtk2 / gtk3 handling and Ruby gems virtuals.
5 >
6 > Aside from being abusive,
7 No, it solves a real problem.
8 > this screws things up for Paludis users.
9 -EDONTCARE, use a supported package manager
10 > Paludis tends to bring in newer versions when possible (so that users
11 > aren't stuck with an old GCC forever), and allows the user to select
12 > when new slots are brought in. When suddenly a few packages are using
13 > slots and versions to "mean" something other than what they used to,
14 > this makes the feature unusable.
15 >
16 > Thus, as a quick workaround, I'd like to suggest adding a PROPERTIES
17 > value called "funky-slots", which should be set on every version of any
18 > package that uses slots in an unconventional manner. This probably
19 > doesn't need EAPI control, since package manglers are free to ignore
20 > PROPERTIES tokens. It won't solve the abuse, but it will allow the
21 > impact upon users to be lessened.
22 >
23 Hackfix. Hardcode those packages in paludis if you need to. Cleaner and
24 faster quick workaround until you can figure out a clean solution.
25
26 No reason to hack a working solution to bits, especially as it is rather
27 easy to mask specific versions if they annoy you (as I do to keep my
28 systems gtk3-free). The current solution is a side-effect of some
29 upstreams being very confused, but I like the -r200/-r300 versioning fix
30 for gtk apps.