From: "Róbert Čerňanský" <hslists2@××××××.sk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-council] pkg_pretend USE validation and VALID_USE alternative
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 20:44:21
1 On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 03:46:47 -0700
2 Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 11:48:37AM +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
6 > > >>>>> On Wed, 31 Mar 2010, Brian Harring wrote:
7 > >
8 > > | Occasionally, ebuilds will have conflicting USE flags for
9 > > | functionality. Checking for them and returning an error is not a
10 > > | viable solution. Instead, you must pick one of the USE flags in
11 > > | conflict to favour.
12 > >
13 > > [1] <http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/use-flags/>
14 >
15 > I honestly consider the ebuild silently making decisions on the user's
16 > behalf *worse*. Consider if openoffice silently made decisions like
17 > that- 4 hours later it'll wind up choosing the option you didn't
18 > really want and you'll be in a foul mood.
19
20 If I'm getting this right the proposed behavior is such that in case of
21 conflicting use flags emerge fails and user gets a message that he
22 has to set use flags as required. If so then I think it is not the right
23 way to handle it. A package manager should be able do deal with (use
24 flag) dependencies automatically. Similarly as it deals with "normal"
25 package dependenicies.
26
27 It should not do this silenly though. emerge -pv should display real
28 state of use flags; so if some use flag has to be turned on
29 automatically due to dependency/conflict then it has to be shown so.
30
31 This apply also for package[use_flag] deps. It is not very convenient
32 to fiddle use flags for individual packages that I basically do not care
33 about because they are just dependencies; so natural expectation is
34 that package manager pulls required deps. automatically (whether it
35 means install a package or install a package _with_ switched use flag).
36
37 I hope this does not sound that I'm dictating you what is the right way
38 to do things. I just wanted to express my opinion. And I admit that
39 perhaps I do not see possible negative consequences of such behaviour.
40
41 Regards,
42 Robert
46 Robert Cernansky