From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] More info than DESCRIPTION
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 23:26:30
sometimes its nice to see what a package does ... and i mean more than a
1-liner ... for example the way rpm stores a large description in itself ...

i like having the 1-liner short description, dont get me wrong ... i dont want
to see that change ... but what if we were to add support for a large
description/explanation for ppl who are not familiar with it ...

could be handled in a couple of ways:
1. a package you would emerge that would have a large database of descriptions
... not very good idea due to updating 1 package means a whole new d/l ...
2. a package that would query a remote gentoo server via http or something
3. another file for all packages to be added to cvs ... say 'Info' or 'About'
or something similar ... i would rather not see it go into the ebuild ;)

<[Eazy|E]> is there a way to get an info about the package, the info like the
freshmeat.net gives out ?
<[Eazy|E]> I liked the way rpm's had info stored about the package, so one who
does not know the package can get an overview of the package with the text
w/o checking the homepage etc
<[Eazy|E]> since qpkg can query the packages, it could be used also for giving
more info about the package, like -i, maybe just another flag that will spit
out more text etc.

thoughts/etc... ?
-mike