From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gmt@×××××.us, hasufell@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] some multilib-minimal enhancements [2/6]: add frob for consumers to disable automagic header wrapping
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 06:34:01
1 Dnia 2013-12-11, o godz. 17:20:08
2 Greg Turner <gmt@×××××.us> napisał(a):
3
4 > On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 1:37 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
5 > > On 12/11/2013 10:18 PM, Greg Turner wrote:
6 > >>
7 > >
8 > > this needs more explanation. Why do we want this?
9 >
10 > Sometimes the automagic header stuff is working against the ebuild
11 > author, or at least threatens to, in the future.
12
13 If you can't solve a problem, ask someone else. Working around it is
14 almost never a good solution.
15
16 > The most plausible etiology would be: ABI "X" is going to generate
17 > header_x.h but ABI "Y" is going to generate header_y.h, or no header
18 > at all. An argument could certainly be made this this calls for
19 > either (a) a way to exempt a particular header from the header
20 > automagic -- not all of them or (b) a general exemption from
21 > ebuild-crashing, for headers that are present for a certain ABI but
22 > not in other ABI's. The only reason I didn't implement either of
23 > those (both of which are probably preferable to mine) is that it
24 > seemed nontrivial, and I'm lazy.
25
26 Then you need to wrap all the possible headers. The function works well
27 if you specify headers that are only available in some of the ABIs.
28
29 > Regardless, if our standard advice is "try not to use this automagic
30 > header wrapping feature, it can break autoconf assumptions" (IIRC, it
31 > is -- but if it isn't, it probably should be), then we ought to
32 > provide /some/ convenient means to get around it, other than sneaking
33 > those headers in through some kind of inter-abi back-door, in order to
34 > fake out the automagic (which is, effectively, what we require right
35 > now).
36
37 The advice tells to do things properly, not to choose even worse
38 solution. If wrapping breaks something, random header install is going
39 to screw up even worse.
42 Best regards,
43 Michał Górny