From: "C. Bergström" <cbergstrom@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] EKOPath/Path64 compiler ebuilds + support
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 06:47:57
1 Hi
2
3 Recently a couple new ebuilds were added to the portage tree and I felt
4 it's worthwhile to give a friendly heads up.
5
6 So without further ado let me introduce EKOPath and Path64.
7
8 EKOPath - This is a binary installer that comes from one of the nightly
9 PathScale builds. The source to the compiler/debuger/libraries.. etc
10 are available on github. It's meant as a convenience to new users and
11 should be portable across many distributions.
12
13 Path64 - This is the source build of the compiler that will warm your
14 house in the winter. While not required I would generally recommend
15 that you do a Release build. If you don't the compiler will be *slower*
16 than mud. It may not be so bad if you're not building any C++ code, but
17 you've been warned.
18 -------------
19 Documentation - We're working on it, but help is appreciated.
20 Converting a 300 page user guide from $proprietary discontinued format
21 to latex isn't fun. (Send me a private email if you're interested to help)
22
23 Support - Our mailing lists are quiet, but most questions will get a
24 response
25 http://lists.pathscale.com/mailman/listinfo
26
27 If you're on irc feel free to say hi or ask questions on freenode -
28 #pathscale
29 # Warning: The channel is generally quite friendly unless you say
30 something stupid or piss off an OP
31 --------------
32
33 Bug reports
34 For now we're using github issues. # Yes it sucks and we'll get a jira
35 instance setup some time in the future
36 https://github.com/path64/compiler/issues/
37
38 We welcome any and all bug reports - performance regressions, ICE,
39 incorrect results. etc. The best way to get your bug fixed is by having
40 the smallest possible test case which reproduces the problem.
41
42 We generally recommend the tool Delta for getting a good automatic start
43 before hand reducing
44 http://delta.tigris.org/
45
46 Why care?
47 PathScale traditionally cared a lot about the performance for HPC and
48 scientific codes. If you have some Fortran code I'd highly recommend
49 you give it a try. C++ is getting a lot of improvements and we're
50 aiming to take the lead before the end of the year. That leaves C and
51 anything else which people really care about
52 (OpenSSL, web servers, database.. etc) Try to build it, file good bug
53 reports, tweak the flags for best performance and yell at us if we're
54 not the fastest.
55
56 I'm around if you have any questions or just generally need someone to
57 yell at :)
60 ./C
61
62 @CTOPathScale