From: Francesco Riosa <francesco@×××××××××.it>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] why do different ebuilds have the same version number?
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 19:17:37
1 marduk wrote:
2
3 >On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 06:09:38 -0700, "Imran Sher Rafique"
4 ><imran@×××××××.org> said:
7 >>I hope this doesn't come across as too much of a rant.
8 >>
9 >>Summary
10 >>-------
11 >>Is it accepted practice to allow for changes in an ebuild without
12 >>changing the
13 >>ebuild version number?
17 >Unfortunately yes ;-). This also has been a problem for
18 >packages.gentoo.org code, because I basically have to make a series of
19 >assumptions as to when an ebuild is considered "new" or "updated".
20 >Originally I thought I could just just look at the timestamps on the
21 >ebuilds, but that turned out to be a very bad determiniation of when an
22 >ebuild has changed. Then I thought revision numbers, but that's
23 >innacurate too. Basically now it comes down to looking at the current
24 >ebuild in portage and comparing it to the last time I looked at it.
25 >It's much more expensive, because you have to look at *every* ebuild,
26 >not just "ebuilds changed since x date/time" or "ebuilds newer than
27 >version y". Oh no, now I sound like I'm ranting ;-)
28 >
29 >-m
32 Why you could not use ctime/mtime ? Isn't possible to make a check like
33 you do now but only on a filtered by "mtime" list of ebuild ?
34 A command like this
35 # find . -name "*.ebuild" -and -mtime "-7" -or -ctime "-7"
36 give you a list of ebuilds created/modified in the last seven days.
37 Isn't this enough to be sure you are looking at all ebuilds modified in
38 the last 24 hours ? At least to cut down the number of ebuilds to check.
39 i.e. I'm assuming it's only a problem of precision
43 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list