From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: openrc@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Providing a `service` scripts that speaks OpenRC and systemd
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 11:53:18
1 On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 11:32 PM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Thu, 28 Sep 2017, Austin English wrote:
3 >
4 >> Talking with Whubbs about it, I found that our service script only
5 >> supports OpenRC, via rc-service. I looked around, and from what I
6 >> can tell, most distros ship a service tool for all supported init
7 >> systems. I.e., Debian/Ubuntu: supports sysvinit and systemd via
8 >> init-system-helpers CentOS/Fedora: provides support for systemd via
9 >> initscripts OpenSUSE: has a working service binary for systemd
10 >> (according to #suse)
11 >
12 > There is "eselect rc" which could be easily extended to support
13 > systemd. Patches are welcome. :)
16 ++
17
18 Honestly, I could see the argument for having a generic "service"
19 command because that is what everybody else does, but there is little
20 point in arguing about the name of the file when nobody has bothered
21 to write it yet.
22
23 If somebody writes such a tool and it proves useful, we can always
24 have the discussion about refactoring.
25
26 To minimize list replies I'll tackle one of Duncan's points - he was
27 debating whether you really need this vs just using systemctl. The
28 obvious use case is scripts that are intended to support multiple init
29 systems - it makes far more sense to put the logic to figure out which
30 one to run in one place than many. If the runit users want to add
31 their own logic they could. IMO it would be potentially useful, even
32 if you and I don't personally have much use for it.
33
34 That said, the sorts of people most likely to benefit probably don't
35 use Gentoo in the first place.
36
37 In any case, arguing over whether it is useful is putting the cart
38 before the horse. It doesn't matter if it is useful if nobody bothers
39 to build it. If nobody has that much of an itch to scratch then how
40 useful could it be?
43 Rich