From: Robert Buchholz <rbu@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Merging or overwriting KEYWORDS from eclass
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 23:47:57
1 Hi,
2
3 I've stumbled upon an inconsitency between package managers the other
4 day [1], which was due to both an ebuild and an eclass defining
5 inconsisting KEYWORDS.
6
7 bla-1.ebuild:
8 inherit myeclass
9 KEYWORDS="~arch"
10
11 myeclass.eclass:
12 KEYWORDS="arch"
13
14 Portage will resolve this by overwriting the variable, so the last
15 (~arch) wins. Paludis, on the other hand, merges the variables, so it
16 is KEYWORDS="~arch arch".
17
18 The PMS draft [2] defines that "IUSE, DEPEND, RDEPEND and PDEPEND"
19 variables be merged when defined in both eclass and ebuild (Section
20 7.2), but only says "May be defined in an eclass" about KEYWORDS
21 (Section 8.2).
22
23 Anyone up to toss a coin whose bug it is, and maybe we can have a more
24 specific wording in the PMS?
27 Robert
28
29 [1] http://trac.pioto.org/paludis/ticket/586#comment:10