From: "Olivier Crête" <tester@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New global USE flag: introspection
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 14:22:28
1 On Mon, 2010-06-21 at 09:33 +0200, Maciej Mrozowski wrote:
2 > On Sunday 20 of June 2010 16:42:58 Arun Raghavan wrote:
3 > > Hi folks,
4 > > I'd like to propose a new global USE-flag: introspection.
5 > >
6 > > The purpose of the flag is to enable the building of GIR for the
7 > > package using dev-libs/gobject-introspection. gobject-introspection is
8 > > going to be quite important in upcoming GNOME releases, allowing for
9 > > the automated generation of bindings for several languages.
10 > >
11 > > We already have 13 packages using this flag, with several more to
12 > > come. The current description being used in packages' metadata.xml
13 > > sucks - I'll put something more descriptive in the final flag.
14 > >
15 > > Any objections? I'll wait till Wed (June 23rd) before adding this if
16 > > there aren't any.
17 >
18 > I don't mind adding it as globally recognizable USE flag, I'd mind however
19 > having it enabled by default in desktop/base profile. If Gnome needs it,
20 > please enable it in gnome subprofile if you wish (apart from setting all
21 > required USE deps in ebuilds), you can also use IUSE defaults for it which
22 > would allow more fine grained control or if you or Gnome devs decided to drop
23 > the idea at some point.
24
25 Oh no! You'll have two small data files for each package! That's so
26 terrible! You should definitely look through /usr/share, there are lots
27 of other files you dont absolutely need too. Maybe you should start
28 filing bugs against every package that install these tiny files you
29 don't need! All those wasted inodes!
33 Olivier Crête
34 tester@g.o
35 Gentoo Developer