From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Multiple Repo Support
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 01:20:28
1 On Tue, Dec 27, 2005 at 01:03:49AM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 16:57:07 -0800 Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > | Not saying it's a great idea, but EAPI exists to provide immediate
5 > | transition to incompatible changes instead of the usual "work out a
6 > | semi backwards compatible way, don't use it for 6 months, then deal
7 > | with the bugs".
8 >
9 > Addition of any new dependency filtering criterion is a backwards
10 > incompatible change anyway. If you add, say, [fish:trout] and older
11 > versions of Portage don't recognise [fish:], there's no way for said
12 > older Portage versions to know what to do. Being able to parse
13 > additional DEPEND constructs is not sufficient.
14
15 Guessing you're missing how EAPI works. The scenario you're pointing
16 at isn't an issue for EAPI aware portage versions.
17
18 If portage doesn't know of that EAPI version, it flat out won't do
19 _any_ operations on that package; it's filtered out of available
20 packages.
21
22 Hell, we don't even store the metadata in the cache- the reasoning
23 being that if we don't know of that EAPI version, there is _no_
24 gurantee we'll even be processing the metadata dumped from ebuild.sh
25 properly (nor that ebuild.sh will produce proper metadata for that eapi).
26
27 So... for scenario above, portage sees the differing EAPI, masks the
28 package on it's own- the new dependency format isn't seen, nor
29 processed by portage.
30
31 Like I said, via EAPI we can effectively break whatever we want format
32 wise, do a total quick cut over without breaking older eapi aware
33 portages (this is the reason eapi exists).
34
35 Non eapi aware portage's will be boned, but so it goes. They're going
36 to be progressively more screwed the further we go portage wise
37 anyways, so it's something of a lost cause (imo).
38 ~harring