From: Zach Welch <zwelch@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o, gentoo-embedded@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] ANN: Embedded Gentoo Project
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 09:00:28
1 Hello everyone,
2
3 I am proud to announce the official Embedded Gentoo Project is getting
4 close to being able to integrate improvements to provide "one-step"
5 cross-compiling toolchain installation. This includes enhancements to
6 gcc-config and the core toolchain ebuilds, with only some portage
7 enhancements waiting to be implemented before final integration.
8
9 I recently completed updating the project's documentation to reflect the
10 current state of affairs for cross-compiling, finished writing a new
11 section to cover uClibc, and added a project roadmap to give a big
12 picture view of where we are and where we are headed. Even after this
13 revision, these pages remain far from complete but should give an idea
14 for the knowledgable about where we are headed.
15
16 Because this project will be an extensive, ongoing effort requiring
17 changes throughout the entire tree, I have organized a number of
18 resources to help foster and encourage community participation. These
19 currently include:
20
21 1) A new wiki - The "full" announcement of this new resource should have
22 found its way to you before this one. Presently, this contains the full
23 documentation for the Embedded Gentoo Project and the roadmap of our
24 current and planned activities:
25
26 http://wiki.dev.gentoo.org/gentoo/moin.cgi/EmbeddedGentoo
27
28 2) gentoo-embedded mailing list - now available for ongoing discussion
29 about scaling Gentoo down into memory or space restricted devices (e.g.
30 laptops and handhelds), cross-compiling, uClibc, and all other related
31 issues.
32
33 3) #gentoo-embedded on IRC - the developers (and many users) working on
34 the projects meet almost daily in IRC to hash out the ongoing details.
35 If you want to help get things sorted out, please join us on
36 irc.freenode.net in #gentoo-embedded to join the fun.
39 In the next few days, I will begin posting additional announcements on
40 the gentoo-embedded mailing list to provide further information and
41 details in order to provoke further discussion about project's goals,
42 design, and current implementation. Subscribe today or miss out on all
43 the fun and excitement.
44
45 This project's course is not set in stone and the short-term roadmap
46 changes often, depending on present involvement. Due to recent growing
47 participation, the roadmap now reflects the broader efforts and
48 resources active on the project. I look forward to seeing everyone
49 interested but not yet involved to start contributing to the project.
50
51 Feedback is both desired and expected; however, please trim any replies
52 to this post so they go to the gentoo-embedded list ONLY.
55 Cheers,
56
57 Zach Welch
58 Gentoo Embedded Lead