From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Upcoming Infra maintenance/downtimes: anon{cvs,svn,git}, archives, bouncer, overlays
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 09:21:21
1 On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 09:37:35AM +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > First and foremost: thanks for the work!
3 >
4 > On 17-01-2008 13:47:28 -0800, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
5 > > overlays.gentoo.org [3]:
6 > > - Moving between machines
7 > > - Git service is already on the new machine
8 > > - Anonymous SVN is changing from http:// to svn://
9 > > - Trac being replaced [2]
10 > >
11 > > Footnotes:
12 > > 1. You do not need to do a new checkout at all, you can use the
13 > > following command to update your SVN repos:
14 > > svn switch --relocate \
15 > > http://anonsvn.gentoo.org/repositories/$REPO \
16 > > svn://anonsvn.gentoo.org/$REPO
17 > Would it be possible to have a transition period of 1 or 2 months for
18 > the svn repo move? The main problem for me is that Prefix users are on
19 > a Portage tree from overlays (in SVN), which means if this switch is
20 > done without transition they cannot update (emerge --sync) any more.
21 > While this will result in some mail/bug activity, it might also leave
22 > other people in the dark, ending up (needlessly) rebootstrapping.
23 >
24 > If a transition period would be available, I could make Portage
25 > alarm users to fix the SYNC variable to reflect the new URL. I also
26 > need to add/fix/change Portage's support for this new URL scheme.
27 You're syncing directly from overlays SVN-HTTP? I hope not with the sync
28 frequency of some of the other users out there.
29
30 As you support SVN already, you should just need to change the URL
31 (since you are just handing it to SVN), and run svn switch. But ok, I'll
32 give you 30 days for /repositories/alt/ once the new overlays box has
33 SVN. (Combined with a suitably large warning in the SVN browse view).
34
35 As a migration help, I have enabled the svn:// protocol on the old
36 overlays box, so you can make a start on getting your users converted.
37 svn://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/alt/
40 Robin Hugh Johnson
41 Gentoo Linux Developer & Infra Guy
42 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
43 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85