From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News item for eudev deprecation
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 21:01:01
1 On 8/22/2021 16:14, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 > Hi everyone,
3 >
4 > Yes! It is time to finally deprecate eudev! sys-fs/udev now builds
5 > under musl! My original purpose for maintaining eudev was because
6 > systemd + musl did not play well together when udev was absorbed into
7 > the sytemd repo. Now thanks to patches from openembedded, they do, and
8 > my original reason for maintaining eudev is no longer valid. So its
9 > time to retire eudev. It has served its purpose as a stop-gap.
10 >
11 > To me, this is a success for musl, and I would like to thank all the
12 > developers who have taken musl seriously enough to make this happen :)
13 >
14 > I am willing to transfer the eudev repo to another organization, but I
15 > will not maintain it anymore and Base System doesn't want to either.
16 > Let me warn people, to maintain it correctly you MUST become familiar
17 > with its internals and watch what systemd is doing upstream to keep up.
18 > This is not trivial. I learned a lot from eudev, and it did save musl
19 > on gentoo, but there was a period there when it was taking up almost all
20 > of my time. If you don't know what you're getting into, you don't want
21 > to take on its maintenance.
22
23 Which version of sys-fs/udev has the patches that allow it to replace eudev?
24 Do these patches have any chance of being accepted by upstream?
27 > Title: eudev retirement on 2022-01-01
28 > Author: Anthony G. Basile <blueness@g.o>
29 > Posted: 2021-08-xx
30 > Revision: 1
31 > News-Item-Format: 2.0
32 > Display-If-Installed: sys-fs/eudev
33 >
34 > sys-fs/udev is becoming the standard provider of udev on non-systemd
35 > (e.g. OpenRC) systems. Users of systemd will continue to use the udev
36 > services provided by the sys-apps/systemd package itself.
37
38 Are there any concerns about upstream one day making udev and systemd
39 inseparable again?
42 > The transition should be uneventful in most cases, but please read this
43 > item in full to understand some possible corner cases.
44 >
45 > eudev will be retired and removed from Gentoo on 2022-01-01. We will
46 > start masking eudev on 2021-10-01 and give people 3 months to prepare
47 > their transition. You should ensure that sys-fs/eudev is not in your
48 > world file by running
49 >
50 > emerge --deselect sys-fs/eudev
51 >
52 > in order for Portage to replace eudev with sys-fs/udev once the
53 > package.mask is in place. We fully support udev on musl, whereas uclibc
54 > will still have to rely on eudev before also being removed on 2022-01-01.
55 >
56 > **WARNING**
57 >
58 > If you happen to have an INSTALL_MASK with a blanket "*systemd*" glob,
59 > you will inevitably break your system. sys-fs/udev contains "systemd" in
60 > some of its filenames, hence a blanket filter rule will likely lead to a
61 > non-functional udev installation.
62
63 Will an INSTALL_MASK of "/usr/lib/systemd /etc/systemd" cause any issues?
66 Couple of typos below:
67
68 > Rationale
69 >
70 > The integration of udev into the systemd git repo introduced numerous
71 > problems for none-glibc systems, such as musl and uclibc. Several
72
73 s/none-glibc/non-glibc/
74
75 > options were considered, and the one chosen was to fork and maintain
76 > udev independant of the rest of systemd. This was meant as a stop-gap
77
78 s/independant/independent/
79
80 > solution until such time as the problems with systemd on musl had been
81 > resolved. This is now the case with patches provided by openembedded,
82 > and my original reason for maintaining eudev is no longer relevant.
83 >
84 > I am willing to transfer eudev to another umbrella organisation or Linux
85
86 s/organisation/organization/
87
88 > distribution that is willing to continue its maintenance, but
89 > maintaining eudev cannot be done purely through proxy-maintaining and
90 > requires an understanding of its internals. This is a steep learning
91 > curve and must be an earnest effort. For this reason, the Base System
92
93 > project has decided not to support euev as an option going forward.
94
95 s/euev/eudev/
99 Joshua Kinard
100 Gentoo/MIPS
101 kumba@g.o
102 rsa6144/5C63F4E3F5C6C943 2015-04-27
103 177C 1972 1FB8 F254 BAD0 3E72 5C63 F4E3 F5C6 C943
104
105 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
106 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
107
108 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic