From: Patrice Clement <monsieurp@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Developer branches on proj/gentoo
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 13:52:26
1 Hi there
2
3 According to https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_git_workflow#Branching_Model,
4 "there may be developer-specific, task-specific, project-specific branches
5 etc". As far as I understand, it means I can go and create my own branch on the
6 main repository and push it and it gets spread all over the place. Is that
7 correct?
8
9 Could someone explain to me the rationale behind this decision?
10
11 Truth to be told, I kinda dislike the fact any developer can do this.
12
13 proj/gentoo should be kept for "serious business" i.e. commits that affects the
14 tree. On the long run, if everybody goes down that road, we will see flourish
15 numerous branches (who said unmaintained?), all stalled at a different state of
16 the main repo, and it will only generate a lot of noise and confusion for
17 nothing. Further, since we've moved over to git, the main tree now gets
18 replicated to github and we all have github accounts here, don't we? Which makes
19 the whole forking and submitting PRs a cinch.
20
21 If a developer wants to tinker with the tree, he can fork it to its github
22 devspace, fiddle around, and later on send us a PR back with his changes to
23 merge.
24
25 Cheers,
26 Patrice