From: "Harald van Dijk" <truedfx@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] strict-aliasing rules, don't break them
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 19:10:24
1 On Sat, Jun 17, 2006 at 01:44:34PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Saturday 17 June 2006 13:28, Harald van Dijk wrote:
3 > > On Sat, Jun 17, 2006 at 01:15:58PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
4 > > > On Saturday 17 June 2006 06:17, Luca Barbato wrote:
5 > > > > Long term solution:
6 > > > > 1- check your new package for aliasing compliance, and if you have time
7 > > > > fix it in the code or in the makefile, if you haven't append
8 > > > > -fno-strict-aliasing to the cflags and maybe send a notice about it
9 > > > > upstream
10 > > > >
11 > > > > 2- append -fno-strict-aliasing to every source known to have such
12 > > > > issue.
13 > > >
14 > > > 3 - include checking in portage
15 > > > http://bugs.gentoo.org/111436
16 > >
17 > > Would this make builds fail by default, or would it provide a hook for
18 > > the user to allow builds to fail if specific conditions are matched ?
19 >
20 > right now such behavior is not defined
21 >
22 > i would lean on the FEATURES=stricter setting though to control warn/die
23 > behavior
24
25 One reason I asked was because you'd have to force LC_ALL=C to make that
26 work, unless you want to check for every translation of the warning.
27
28 Another, as said earlier already, is that the warning is given for valid
29 code too sometimes, but as long as it's possible to state in the ebuild
30 that the warnings are safe to ignore for that package, I guess that's
31 okay.
32 --
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list