From: waltdnes@××××××××.org
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2016 17:07:37
1 On Wed, Apr 06, 2016 at 12:15:58AM -0400, Richard Yao wrote
4 > If others are not willing to be advocates for ***THOSE USERS THAT WOULD
5 > ONLY MAKE THEMSELVES KNOWN AFTER AN A FUNDAMENTAL CHANGE HAS BEEN MADE
6 > AND PEOPLE ARE DETERMINED TO GO AHEAD WITH THIS***, I suggest having
7 > and testing a plan for backing out the change should the backlash
8 > from users after systems break be more than people can stomach. This
9 > is not the sort of change we should make without an "exit strategy".
10
11 The problem is that those end users didn't know about it until it they
12 read the news item during an emerge. That is why they "would only make
13 themselves known after a fundamental change has been made". There are a
14 couple of alternatives...
15
16 a) tell all end-users that they should regularly monitor this list. The
17 disadvantage is that you probably don't want to be flooded with
18 questions from newbies on this list.
19
20 b) ask on the Gentoo-user mailing list... ***BEFORE MAKING A DECISION
21 AND INVESTING ANY WORK IN A MAJOR CHANGE***
22
23 Otherwise, you end up with a scenario similar to the following "fair
24 use" snippett from "The Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy" series...
28 ARTHUR DENT:
29 Didn't anyone consider the alternatives?
30
31 MISTER PROSSER:
32 There aren't any alternatives! But you are quite entitled to make any
33 suggestions or protests at the appropriate time!
34
35 ARTHUR DENT:
36 Appropriate time?
37
38 MISTER PROSSER:
39 Yes.
40
41 ARTHUR DENT:
42 The first I knew about it was when a workmen arrived at the door
43 yesterday.
44
45 MISTER PROSSER:
46 T- oh!
47
48 ARTHUR DENT:
49 I asked him if he'd come to clean the windows and he said he'd come to
50 demolish the house! He didn't tell me straight away of course. Oh no.
51 First he wiped a couple of windows and charged me a fiver. Then he told
52 me.
53
54 MISTER PROSSER:
55 But Mister Dent the plans have been available in the planning office for
56 the last nine months!
57
58 ARTHUR DENT:
59 Yes! I went round to find them yesterday afternoon. You'd hadn't exactly
60 gone out of your way to pull much attention to them have you? I mean,
61 like actually telling anybody or anything.
62
63 MISTER PROSSER:
64 The plans were on display.
65
66 ARTHUR DENT:
67 Ah! And how many members of the public are in the habit of casually
68 dropping around the local planning office of an evening?
69
70 MISTER PROSSER:
71 Er - ah!
72
73 ARTHUR DENT:
74 It's not exactly a noted social venue is it? And even if you had popped
75 in on the off chance that some raving bureaucrat wanted to knock your
76 house down, the plans weren't immediately obvious to the eye were they?
77
78 MISTER PROSSER:
79 That depends where you were looking.
80
81 ARTHUR DENT:
82 I eventually had to go down to the cellar!
83
84 MISTER PROSSER:
85 That's the display department.
86
87 ARTHUR DENT:
88 With a torch!
89
90 MISTER PROSSER:
91 The lights, had# probably gone.
92
93 ARTHUR DENT:
94 So had the stairs!
95
96 MISTER PROSSER:
97 Well you found the notice didn't you?
98
99 ARTHUR DENT:
100 Yes. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet, stuck
101 in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the
102 Leopard". Ever thought of going into advertising?
105 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
106 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications