From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stable sys-devel/gcc USE flag changes
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 03:24:18
1 On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 7:00 PM, Michael Weber <xmw@g.o> wrote:
2 > how does portage @preserved-libs work? maybe we could emerge
3 > @update[s] and @glsa.
4
5 @glsa actually makes a lot of sense. I'm not convinced we want
6 @updates as a shortcut for a bunch of settings though. Sets are just
7 about picking which packages to operate on, and overloading them in
8 this way is going to just lead to confusion. Sets should be nothing
9 more than lists of packages, and then the other emerge parameters can
10 be used to filter them.
11
12 I'd just stick with a simple parameter like --upgrade or an
13 alternative command name like emerge-update.
14
15 Oh, here's another crazy thought. How about some directory in /etc
16 that sets rules for emerge-update (or whatever we call it)? You might
17 have a bunch of low-numbered rules that set/append variables like
18 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTIONS, and then a bunch of higher-numbered rules that
19 actually run commands. Then if you install eix or layman they could
20 stick a hook in there to trigger their own respective updates. A
21 downside is that it makes the behavior of the command a bit less
22 predictable. An upside is that the behavior of the command will only
23 change subject to config file protection (well, sort-of - additional
24 rule files don't typically trigger protection).
25
26 Rich